Blue Badge

The Blue Badge can be used in any vehicle in which the holder is travelling. The holder doesn’t have to be the driver.  Blue Badges are issued only to people with permanent and substantial disabilities which affect mobility.

Who can get a Blue Badge

this is a pdf file it is big

You automatically qualify for a Blue Badge if one of the following applies:

  • you receive the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • you receive the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) with a score of eight points or more for 'Moving around'
  • you’re registered blind (severely sight impaired)
  • you receive a War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
  • you’ve been awarded a lump sum benefit at tariffs 1 to 8 of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme and are certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes the inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking

You might be able to get a Blue Badge, after further assessment, if you are more than two years old and:

  • You drive a vehicle regularly, have a severe disability in both arms and are unable to operate, (or have considerable difficulty in operating), all or some types of parking meter;
  • You have a permanent and substantial disability that causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking.

You’ll be invited for assessment by an independent mobility assessor such as an occupational therapist to confirm that you’re eligible for a Blue Badge.

Children under the age of three may be able to get a Blue Badge if either or both of the following descriptions apply:

  • A child who, on account of a condition, must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment which cannot be carried around with the child without great difficulty;
  • A child who, on account of a condition, must always be kept near a motor vehicle so that, if necessary, treatment for that condition can be given in the vehicle or the child can be taken quickly in the vehicle to a place where such treatment can be given.

Apply for or renew a Blue Badge

Apply or renew a Blue Badge online 

You can also pick up a paper application form at any library in Barnet.

If your application is successful you must provide the following:

  • proof of identity, e.g. passport, driving licence or National Identity Card
  • a passport sized photograph with your name on the reverse

Your address details will be validated by the Assisted Travel team, providing you’ve consented to the council checking any information already held by its departments, e.g. Housing Benefit and Council Tax.

You’re responsible for applying to renew your badge. Please allow up to 8 weeks for us to process your renewal application.

Organisation Badges

A Badge may be issued to organisations that care for and transport disabled people who meet the eligibility criteria for a Blue Badge.

If few people in the organisation are eligible for a Badge then it would be more appropriate for those persons to apply for their own Badges.

Organisation Badges will only be issued to an organisation which both:

  • cares for and transports disabled persons who meet one or more of the eligibility criteria for an individual Badge
  • has a clear need for an organisation Badge rather than using personal Badges of the people it's transporting

In all circumstances, Badges will be supplied to organisations or departments (for example, a social services department) rather than to individual staff members.

An organisation’s employees must only use the Badge to transport disabled people in their care who meet one or more of the Badge’s eligibility criteria.

If employees use the Badge for parking concessions when there are no passengers in the vehicle who are eligible for a Badge, they’ll face a fine of up to £1,000.

Blue Badge costs

You’ll be charged a £10 administration fee if your application is successful. You must pay this before the Badge is issued. Your Blue Badge will be ordered after we’ve taken your payment. All Blue Badges are administrated centrally.

Allow up to 10 days from the date of payment for your badge to arrive.

Where you can park

Find out where you can park using your Blue Badge

Parking concessions

  • park for up to 3 hours on a yellow line waiting restriction (single or double - the restriction is the same, but double lines apply 24-hours a day) - the accompanying clock must be displayed and the correct time of arrival set
  • park for unlimited periods at Pay-by-Phone parking places, unless signage specifies a maximum stay
  • park at disabled badge holder parking places, either for an unlimited time or for the time shown on nearby signs

How to use the badge and clock 

The badge and clock must be displayed for the concessions to apply. Disability parking concessions don’t apply simply because of the vehicle excise duty (tax disc) classification, or because the driver is a badge holder.

If the badge and clock are not displayed a vehicle may be issued with a penalty charge notice.

Designated disabled parking bays for residents

Barnet Blue Badge holders can apply for a 'designated disabled badge holder only' parking place to be provided close to their home if it’s difficult for them to park there.

You can only apply if you’re a Barnet resident and one of the following applies:

  • you’re a London Borough of Barnet Blue Badge holder and the vehicle owner
  • you keep and use a vehicle at the same address as the badge holder, and the badge holder relies on you to assist them as a passenger of their vehicle

We’ll need to see written medical evidence that the badge holder has considerable difficulty in walking.

We’ll only consider providing a designated disabled parking place where there is proven difficulty in parking, and no suitable alternative off-street parking is available.

Lost, stolen or replacement Blue Badges

All replacement Blue Badges cost £10.

If your Blue Badge has been stolen or you have lost the badge you should:

Report it to the Police, who will give you a crime reference number if your Blue Badge has been stolen.

If your Blue Badge has been lost, the Police will give you a Lost Property Reference number.

To report that your Blue Badge has been lost or stolen complete this online form

Change of address

If you've changed address, then please email with a good quality copy of a 'proof of address' and include your reference number.

A proof of address can be:

  • Valid driving licence (can be used as proof of address if not provided as Proof of ID)
  • Council Tax Bill dated within the last 12 months or you can tick the appropriate box on the application to give us consent to check your details against the Council Tax or Electoral Register records held by Barnet Council
  • Award letter from Service Personnel and Veterans Agency
  • Benefit award letter from the DWP
  • Confirmation letter from the school that the child attends that school, if under 16
  • Housing Benefit (or other type of benefit) award letter dated within the 12 months

Blue Badges misuse/fraud

Contact the Assisted Travel Team if you believe that a Blue Badge is being misused. Please include the date, time, location, vehicle registration and badge number. You could be prosecuted and fined up to £1,000 and/or have the badge withdrawn if you misuse your badge or allow someone else to misuse it.

Expired badges

Expired badges must be returned to the London Borough of Barnet. This also applies to badges which were issued to a person who has since died.

Read The Blue Badge Scheme: rights and responsibilities in England for more information on your rights and responsibilities, and how to use your Blue Badge.


Assisted Travel Team

Rate this page?