Barnet is a ‘full service’ Universal Credit area, this means that in most cases you won’t need to apply for Housing Benefit, but should Apply for Universal Credit, which has replaced several benefits.
When you should apply for Housing Benefit
From 16 May 2018 you can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if you are in one of the following groups.
- you live in supported exempt accommodation, or you have been placed in temporary accommodation by Barnet Homes
- you have reached State Pension Credit age
- you are part of a couple where one of you has reached State Pension Credit age
- you get Contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance with no Universal Credit top up
- you get Contribution-related Employment and Support Allowance with no Universal Credit top up
- you have three or more children and have been advised to claim Tax Credits after 16 May 2018
If none of the situations above apply to you and you need help with your housing costs you will need to make a claim for universal credit
Apply for Housing Benefit
Get help with benefits
Use a benefits calculator to check what benefits you should receive or call us on 020 8359 2000.
Lines open: Monday – Thursday: 9am – 5:15pm, Friday: 9am – 5pm.
If your circumstances change
You’ll have to tell us if your circumstances change as his can affect how much you get.
Tell us online
Complete the change of circumstances form to tell us what has changed. You will have to supply evidence to prove the change.
You should tell us about changes like:
- a change of income
- the people that live with you
- children leaving or starting school
Supply evidence like:
- bank statements
- birth certificates
Complete the change of circumstances form
Tell us in writing
You can write to us regarding your change in circumstances
London Borough Barnet
PO Box 2015
Pershore WR10 9BG
Drop it in
Monday - Friday 9am to 4.30pm at:
1255 High Road
Whetstone London N20 0EJ
Burnt Oak Library
Edgware London HA8 0UB