Tell us once

Tell Us Once is a service that lets you report a death to us and central government in one go. The service will take care of  stopping tax payments, ,benefits, cancelling the drivers license and removing names from the electoral register.

Tell Us Once will get in touch with us and lets us know about the death so we can update our records for:

  • the electoral register
  • housing benefit payments
  • council tax payments
  • council housing
  • Blue Badges
  • library cards

The service will also do the same for benefits and services from Central Government

How to use Tell Us Once

Once you have registered the death, the registrar will tell you about using Tell Us Once and give you a unique reference number to access the service.

Following the registration of the death, you can complete 
Tell Us Once online

By telephone 
Call the Department for Work and Pensions on 0800 085 7308 after you have registered the death. The lines are open Monday to Friday, between 8am and 8pm.
The number is free to call from a BT landline, but other providers may charge you. If you don’t speak English, just tell the advisers and they will arrange for an interpreter to call you back.

In person
You will be offered this service when you register a death. If you would like to use the service, and have all the appropriate documentation to hand, the Registrar will send the information to your chosen organisations there and then.

We can inform Central Government about:

  • British passports
  • UK drivers licence
  • pensions, war pensions
  • benefits like disability, carers
  • Jobcentre Plus

Documents needed

You need permission from the next of kin, the executor, the administrator or anyone who was claiming joint benefits or entitlements with the deceased before you give their details.

You’ll need the deceased’s:

  • date of birth
  • National Insurance number
  • driving licence number
  • passport number
  • details of any benefits or entitlements they were getting, e.g. State Pension
  • details of any local council services they were getting, e.g. Blue Badge
  • name and address of their next of kin
  • name, address and contact details of the person or company dealing with their estate (property, belongings and money), known as their ‘executor’ or ‘administrator’

If you are unable to locate any of this information in time for your appointment, please don't worry, you will still be able to use the service online or by telephone.

Rate this page?