Giving notice of a marriage or civil partnership

The notice of marriage or civil partnership is a legal statement you must sign. It gives details of your name, age, address, occupation, nationality and where you might get married. If your partner lives in another borough to you they must give notice at their local register office.

If you live in Barnet you need to give notice at Barnet Register Office in Hendon Town Hall.  Your notice will be publically displayed in the register office for 28 days.

For most marriages or civil partnerships you must give at least 28 full days’ notice at the register office. You can only give notice if you have lived in the area for at least the past 7 days.

Once you have given us notice, you must get married or register your civil partnership within one year.

There are different rules for:

Skip to:

Rate this page?