Bin collections for flats
Flat blocks with more than 6 flats receive weekly waste collections. Most receive weekly recycling collections
Your bin collection dates
We cannot show collection dates for flats using the online bin search. If you wish to confirm your collection dates please call us on 020 8359 4600.
Bin collection for houses
If you live in a house or property with less than 6 flats you will have a different selection of bins.
Flats above shops
If you live in a flat above a shop we will either give you a recycling bin or recycling sacks for your mixed recycling. If you do not currently receive clear sacks but think you should call us on 020 8359 4600. We will assess your location first to confirm it is unsuitable for a bin,
Blue or green recycling bins
You can use your blue or green recycling bins for your mixed recycling. Once one bin is full, you can move on to the next bin to recycle your waste.
You should rinse all items for recycling clean. Food packaging must be free from food as we cannot recycle these when dirty.
Place your items in the recycling bin loose, do not use plastic or black bags.
You should only use your blue or green recycling bins for:
<big green tick>
- cartons - including fruit juice cartons, milk cartons, Tetra Pak
- food tins and drinks cans
- mixed glass, bottles and jars - lids and tops can be either left on or off
- mixed paper, including loose shredded paper
- plastic bottles - lids and tops can be either left on or off
- plastic tubs, pots and trays - remove any film lids and pads in the bottom of trays, place in your black waste bins).
Do not use your blue or green recycling bins for:
<big red cross>
- crisp packets - cannot be recycled, place in your black waste bins
- nappies - cannot be recycled, place in your black waste bins
- textiles - recycle at the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre, or local charity shops
- wood - recycle at the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre
- electrical items - recycle at the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre. Contact Clearabee on 0330 088 1085 to get a free collection of large electrical items
- polystyrene - cannot be recycled, place in your black waste bins
- batteries - place in a clear bag on top of the lid of your bin
- black bags and other plastic items - Black bags, plastic wrapping, bubble wrap, cling film, plastic tubes cannot be recycled, place in your black waste bins
- Plastic toys – take to local charity shops
We provide a Flats Recycling Poster to put up on a noticeboard in your flat block to encourage others to recycle.
Black or grey waste refuse bins
You can use your black or grey waste bins for your items that cannot be recycled.
You should check if the contents of your black or grey waste bins can go in your recycling bins, as most of your waste can be recycled.
You should only use your black or grey waste bin for:
<big green tick>
- Non recyclable rubbish
- Crisp packets
- animal faeces/pet waste/used or unused pet bedding/litter
- Plastic film / wrapping
Do not use your black waste bin for:
<big red cross>
- Builders' waste - builders working at your property should take away their waste.
You can fill up to six standard rubble bags of your own building rubble and take to the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre no more than once per month
Asbestos – you can book a collection by the City of London household hazardous waste collection and disposal service
You can make an appointment to take Cement asbestos to Hornsey Street Re-use and Recycling Centre, Hornsey Street, London N7 8HU. Telephone 020 8884 5645 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Car batteries – take to the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre
- Oil – take to the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre in a sealed container
- Paint/Paint tins - take to the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre.
- Energy saving light bulbs - contain small amounts of mercury and are hazardous waste. So, do not place in your bins. Take these to the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre for safe disposal.
No bins for your flats
If you do not have recycling or waste bins at your flat block please contact us on 020 8359 4600 with your managing agents/landlord's contact details.