Apply to have your kerb lowered

You may need to have vehicle access to your private property from the highway. This must be done safely and legally by forming a vehicle crossing, also known as a crossover or dropped kerb.

A dropped kerb allows residents, commercial property owners, or tenants to legally cross the council maintained footway and verges.

The law does not allow you to drive over a footway or verge unless a vehicle crossing has been constructed by the council in accordance with section 184 of the Highways Act 1980.

Only the council can build vehicle crossovers, it is an offence for anyone else to make any changes to the public footway.

Skip to:

Rate this page?